Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Just sharing a moment!

I don't know if this has all just suddenly caught up with me or what, but I just had a "moment." My incredibly beautiful son was just standing next to his table, eating his puffs, and then he turned and gave me the biggest, most beautiful, happiest, most cheerful smile and giggle. The flood gates opened. I am suddenly overwhelmed.......this is actually happening. This is almost "over." I say "over" because Chase will always have short gut, but the hard part is almost over. In fact, in just exactly one week, the most obvious indication that my son is "sick" will be gone. Gone.

This time a year ago we were waiting. Waiting for his bowels to heal. Waiting to find out how much functioning bowel he had left, if any. All we knew is that nothing was going through and anything that did go in, stopped at about 5 cm. in. Other than that, we had no idea what was going on inside our little man. And yet, we were full of hope. God had a plan, we just had to wait patiently for Him to reveal His plan. It wasn't easy, I'm not going to lie. I'm not even really sure how we got by day-to-day. But we did. By God's grace we did.

And now, here we are a year later (oh man, here come the tears) and our son is, at this very moment, tearing apart the play room. He eats just as a little one-year-old should. He moves, talks, plays, cries, and pitches fits just like a one-year-old should. He hears everything (thank you, Lord) just as a one-year-old should. He's curious. He thinks everything his brother does is hilarious. He's walking. He loves Bob from Veggietales. He loves sweet potatoes, apples, Graduate puffs, and hot dogs. He screams when he wants something (especially your attention). He gets jealous of his brother. He says "amen" after prayers (this is my favorite!).

How did we get here?!?!?

How did we get so fortunate? What's going to happen now? Will Chase like baths and swimming? What will be his favorite things?

And we have his lifetime to find out. I am at a loss for words. From just having days to spend with our son, we now have a lifetime. There will be a million more smiles and giggles just like todays.

I can't believe this is happening. It was such an excruciating year full of tears, sadness, fear, scares, gut-wrenching pain. But more than these there was hope, love, grace, faith, family and friends who pulled us from the darkness. There was healing. There was healing. Thank you Jesus, there was healing.


I am overwhelmed.

I think MercyMe said it right:
"Bring me joy, bring me peace. Bring the chance to be free. Bring me anything that brings You glory. And I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain. But if that's what is takes to praise You....Jesus bring the rain!"

The rain came, and the storm clouds are starting to open up. I pray, let His light shine on us and through us now. Thank you Father.

1 comment:

  1. wow!! The tears are filling my eyes as I type! what wonderful news!!! I can completely feel your pain and now JOY! It can be so overwhelming. So, central line is coming out this week, and then in Oct. the button is? wow! I have NO idea about our button, but I'm guessing it will be soon (sometime this coming year) too! Again, praising God with you. HE is faithful!!!

    ReplyDelete